Thursday, December 1, 2011

New Landscaping

I guess the universe has decided that it is time for us to do some new landscaping in our front yard. This is what our house looked like this morning after about 6 hours of very intense wind. I'd say we woke up to it, but there wasn't much sleeping going on at our house last night as we listened to the wind, occasionally hearing stuff hit our house. (I'm pretty sure we were hearing our neighbor's roof shingles.)



We lost all four of our trees in the front yard, including the enormous pine tree, and our little apple tree in the back yard.




As you can see, the pine tree also took out half the flower bed, a bunch of grass and tore up three sprinkler lines when it went down.




This is how it looked this afternoon after our wonderful neighbors helped us cut up the trees so that we and our next door neighbors could access our garages. We are so grateful that the trees didn't damage our home and that we live in a place were people look out for each other. There was a group of men and teenage boys with chain saws going around our neighborhood helping clear up fallen trees all day long. Our neighborhood looks pretty bad with trees and fences down all over the place and blown off shingles and debris everywhere.

I'm a little sad at how drastically our yard has changed in the last 24 hours. At least I won't have to rake up pine needles any more, and I can plant a tree that I like in place of that big pine tree.

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

So sad!! At least on the bright side, you will have plenty of sunny spots for perennials now instead of worrying about what grows best in the shade. I know someone who can set you up with TONS of free starts!

I also know a pretty decent landscaper that can help you out...

Erin said...

Sorry about your trees. I'm glad there was no damage to your house. Brian read about the high winds on the news and was wondering if you guys were in the middle of it. I guess at least you have a few months to figure out how you want to landscape your front yard.

Bradley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.