Saturday, December 13, 2008

My Favorite Place

I was cleaning up my craft area today and decided I would finally do that post that I've been thinking about doing for the past 6 months or so. Now, like I said, I was cleaning today. This area of our house is NOT usually this clean, plus I left some stuff I'm working on out of the pictures and pulled the ironing board that seems to have taken up permanent residence in this area out of the way.

I'm sure you already know that I love to sew, scrapbook, stamp, quilt, and basically make things. When Jeff and I bought our house I was really hoping that we would be able to get a four bedroom house so I would have some room for my stuff, at least for a few years, but the minute I heard "Cape Cod style" and saw the pictures of our house I knew this was the house I wanted even though it only had three bedrooms and needed a lot of TLC. There are many things I love about my house, but one of these things is how big our Master bedroom is. Since I knew that I wouldn't be able to have my own room for my craft stuff, Jeff and I decided that I could have one of the walls/corners of our bedroom. (Yes, I painted our bedroom purple, and No, Jeff does not have a problem with it.)

Last fall I watched my neighbor Aimee's baby (and his older brother after school) twice a week during one of her graduate classes. Jeff and I decided that the money I earned was my special "fun money" that I could do whatever I wanted with and pretty much all of the money went into this space except for a small portion that bought me some new maternity clothes. I called it my Charlie money. I bought myself my own serger, which I had been wanting for years. I bought my shelves and baskets and a Cuttlebug machine along with a bunch of dies and embossing folders. And I bought my beautiful desk that I LOVE! I just have to say that I had been eyeing this desk for months but it was way out of my price range ($400's, on sale). Because of some unusual circumstances I was able to get it for $200. With limited space I really needed to maximize the area, so I added the shelves and the baskets to hold my stamps, ink, and extra ribbon and I just love how easy it is for me to find and use my stuff now. Much better than the dig through my piles of stuff on the floor method I was using before.



I did a similar layout with my sewing area with shelves and baskets over my sewing machine for all of my sewing supplies, patterns, and scrap fabric. So nice, especially with little kids because most of my stuff is way up out of their reach. I'm planning on adding an inspiration board to the wall next to the sewing machine and maybe some little wall quilts or vinyl lettering. Someday. Right now I just love having my own little area. It's so nice to have a place to do the things that I love doing. I think every mom should have a little area all her own to do the things that she loves.



On a related note: After I bought my desk, Jeff was a little sad that he didn't have a space of his own. I offered him joint custody of my desk, but him being the super nice, thoughtful person that he is told me I should have a space that was just mine. Instead of sharing my desk we bought Jeff this beaut off KSL for about $30. One of these days I'm going to paint it when he's not looking. We figure that in a few years it might make a good school desk for the kids. So now we both have a little wall in our room that is all our own. And since we also have our computer in our bedroom we have three desks in here. I tell ya, our room is stylin'!!

8 comments:

Kathryn-nannygoat said...

How nice to have some space to let your creative juices flow. :) I think you are so smart to put the shelves and baskets up for storage and to keep little hands out of reach. ;)

Shelly said...

I love your craft area...it looks perfect! It is nice to have a "place" and I am so impressed with the cleanliness of it...you can't SEE my table underneath all the CRAP! I mean super important stuff!! :)

Nessie said...

Fun, Fun! Everybody needs their own space. Purple room, eh? That's pretty brave!

Danielle and Fam said...

I have a craft area but all it turns into is a JUNK area. Somehow it collects everything. I'm jealous that you have mastered the art of actually using what you have.

heather said...

I love the desk and baskets! Every wo!an's dream is some crafting space of her own. AWESOME job!!!

Lesley said...

I love your favorite space. What a great idea. It looks very clean and organized, just waiting for a new project to begin (although I know you have a few in the works).
PS my "projects" turned out great! I'm really happy with them.

Tiffany said...

All I can say is...I'm JEALOUS! My dining room table serves as my project room for the few days I need it then gets all cleaned up until the next time...

Aimee said...

I am so glad my 'Charlie money' went to something that you wanted! You deserved it, my kids loved coming to your house! Tyson still talks about the gingerbread house and cupcakes he made with you!