Saturday, March 28, 2009

California Trip, Part 3

After spending a week at Shannan's house, we headed out to LA Saturday morning to visit Meghan and Jay. After lunch we drove to Griffith Park. First we went to Travel Town to check out the trains. Max thought it was pretty cool to be able to touch and climb into all of those real trains! (In fact, he got very upset when a couple of the cars were reserved for birthday parties. Apparently you need to walk into EVERY car!) We also rode a small train around Travel Town which was a lot of fun. After the trains we headed over to another section of the park (this park is HUGE!) and Max and I rode on the merry-go-round. Max loved sitting on his horse until we started moving. We ended up sitting in one of the non-moving cars with Max clinging to me. After the merry-go-round we walked over to a big playground were the kids could run around. Emily especially enjoyed digging in the sand.

That night after the kids were in bed Jay suggested that Meghan and I go out while he stayed home with the kids. Meghan took me to Griffith Observatory were we looked at Saturn, walked around the exhibits inside and took in the amazing view of LA. Afterward we went to Pink Berry for an LA treat. I loved watching Meghan zip around in the crazy LA traffic and parallel parking her car like a pro. My little sister seemed so grown up!

On Sunday, after a few (crazy) hours at church and afternoon naps for everyone, we walked around Meghan and Jay's neighborhood to look at all of the different houses. They were amazing! Every house looked so different and had so much character.

By 7 am Monday morning we were packed up and on the road. I was nervous about making the drive in one day, but the kids did great. We made two bathroom stops and a lunch stop and made it home by 7:15 that night. I think the hardest part of the drive home was trying to go to the bathroom and change both kids diapers in the Walmart restroom in Mesquite. There wasn't a door to the bathroom, you just went around a wall, so Emily kept trying to escape into the store while I was changing Max and trying to keep little kids from touching the floor, toilets, etc. was stressful (and impossible). I was so ready to be back on the road and was not to thrilled to discover that Emily had a messy diaper by the time we reached the car. We were so excited to see Jeff again, and I was thrilled to sleep in my own bed that night.

I've decided that twelve days was a little long but it was so nice to see my sisters that live so far away and to get away from everyday life and just relax. Thanks Meghan and Jay for letting us come and visit!! (Next time we'll have to squeeze in a trip to the beach!) :)

7 comments:

heather said...

yOU ARE A BRAVE WOMAN! I am going to have to try the travel thing when we don't have ear problems. Cute pictures of Max in Travel Town.

Monica said...

I agree....you are brave. (I'm secretly jealous and would love to attempt just such a trip to see my sisters. Haven't got the nerve to do it quite yet alone and Aaron's too busy with work to join in.)

Looks like it was an adventure you will cherish for a very long time. ADORABLE kids! I love the pictures.

Shannan said...

We definitely need to go to the beach next time you are out. I bet Max and Emily would love that!

Maren said...

That long of a road trip with two kids alone? Yes, you deserve credit for that one. I'm glad you got home safe and sound and that you were able to visit your family.

Brittney said...

Sounds like fun! I too think you are a brave woman! :) I am glad you were able to go and have some fun though!

Erin said...

I am impressed you made the entire trip by yourself. Way to go! Glad you were able to get all the visiting in you wanted to. Do you miss the nice weather already?

Meghan said...

We were so happy to have you guys come stay with us and to show you where we live. Next time we'll definitely go to the beach.