Saturday, September 19, 2009

Under Attack

I've mentioned before that Emily goes by the nickname Goose or Goosey most of the time at our house. This nickname just kind of evolved from me calling her a silly goose and it just stuck. I knew that this name probably drove my mother crazy, even though she hadn't said anything, because she hates nicknames of any kind.

A couple of weeks ago, Jeff and I went rafting down Cataract Canyon and Jeff's parents were nice enough to watch the kids for us while we were gone. I mentioned something about my mother not liking the nickname Goose when we dropped them off. When we picked them up six days later, Jeff called Emily Goose, to which his mom replied, "Her name is Emily!" Apparently my mom isn't the only grandparent who isn't fond of Emily's nickname. Bill and Deanne had worked on getting Max to call his sister Emily the entire time they were at their house.

Jeff and I thought it was funny that three of Emily's grandparents are now on a mission to get her called by her given name. We have no intention to stop calling her Goose. I think they might be fighting a losing battle. (Apparently they're concerned she will be called Goose for the rest of her life.)

Tonight at dinner I was teasing Emily and asking her if I should call her Emily or Goose. (She emphatically shook her head no to being called Emily.)
Max interrupted me with, "We're not supposed to call her that!"
To which I replied, "Call her what?"
Max, "Goose. Her name is Emily!"
Me, "Who told you that?"
Max, "Grandma!"

Jeff and I thought this was hilarious, especially since Max calls her Goose more often than anyone else.

9 comments:

Erin said...

I told Brian your dilemma and he thinks that maybe you should try calling her "great blue heron" instead because we saw a lot of those as well as geese on our canoe trip and thought that that meant it might be an agreeable but similar enough alternative. Just a thought. You know how Brian is!

Tiffany said...

Luke did not start calling Megan, "Megan" until he was about 4 years old. Joshua still does not call Luke, Megan or Drew by their real names. Our kids are RARELY called by their given names-and their nicknames are not 'normal.' I can't tell you how many times I've gotten wierd looks when I greet Ellie by saying, "Hi Cheese." EMBRACE the nicknames, I think they are endearing and bonding. Ignore the grandparents (on this one!).

Aimee said...

We're all about nicknames in our fam. Tyson is Tys, Charlie is Char-bot (don't really know where that one came from). Right now Sam is our chunky monkey.

Lesley said...

We have so many nicknames in our family that we have nicknames for our nicknames. Remind me sometime when I see you to tell you a funny nickname story. I think nicknames are endearing.

Teresa Davidson said...

Thanks for the laugh. Now I don't feel bad for calling Aiden "neigh neigh." Its so hard to stop once you give them one. It just kind of sticks. I had one that my sisters gave me growing up that I HATED, I would tell them "stop calling me no that it's not my name" and one day my own mother called me it and I just about died!

Brittney said...

I think nicknames are fun! Keep it up :)

Monica said...

Serious! LOL. We call our Madison many, many nicknames of which goose and goosie are included. I won't list the myriad names we call Jack. Nicknames ROCK! They are all given and used with love, so I say carry on :)!

Maren said...

I love nick names. That's when you know people are really comfortable with you. People outside your home are not going to call her Goose unless you introduce her to them that way. Grandparents, relax. My mom has called me Lips or Chicken Lips my whole life, and she's the only one who ever bothered with it. :)

whitewaterwoman said...

I suppose we could call you by your nickname, 'Beef'. Or was that 'chunk of beef'. I still like Adrienne better myself. ;-)