Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Deso Trip, Day 1

Jeff and I spent the last five days rafting on the Green River through Desolation and Gray Canyons. It was beautiful and relaxing and so much fun. It was the maiden voyage for our boat and Jeff's first time rowing an oared boat. He did so great!

This is the first multi day trip that we've taken since we've gotten married. The last time was in 2003 about a month before we got engaged when Jeff went down Cataract Canyon with my family. It makes me a little sad that it's been so long since I've been on the river, but what can you do when for the last four years I've been pregnant or nursing?

I dropped the kids off Thursday around noon at Jeff's brother's house. I admit that I cried a little as I drove away. That afternoon we took off from my mom's house and headed to the put-in. This is my fifth trip down Deso and was by far my favorite. Usually Sandwash (the put-in) has so many mosquitoes that you stay in your tent as much as possible and are miserable the entire time you are rigging your boat. This trip they were really mild in comparison and I even slept outside on my cot the first night.

It took us a little longer than usual to get rigged and off the first morning since Jeff and I had to rearrange some stuff on our boat. The first day is all flat water so we spent all day rowing and playing in the water.

We had twelve people on our trip: my mom, my sister Shannan and her two girls, Kaitlyn and Rachael, my brother-in-law Brian and his brother, Craig, and Brian's friends/neighbors Nick, Joey, and Dalin, my cousin Vanessa, and Jeff and I.

1 comment:

Ines said...

Thanks for this report Adrienne. Vanessa didn't have much time to tell us everything, before she headed off to her next adventure. The picture of the feet with the chaco tans is my favorite!