Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Our Little Booted Boy


So Max broke his leg last week and we win parent's of the year for not taking him to the doctor for FIVE days. But honestly, how do you break your leg tripping over the carpet, your own feet, or thin air, since there was NOTHING on the floor?! How do you break your leg just by tripping anyway!?! He has the boot on at least temporarily until we go to the Sports Medicine doctors on Friday to see if he needs a cast and to find out how long it should take for him to recover. In the meantime I'm sick to my stomach trying to figure out how much this is going to cost us and how we are going to pay for it right now. I now have the equivalent of an almost 40 lb. infant, who can no longer dress himself or go to the bathroom by himself. I'm mourning the loss of my big helping boy and missing the bundle of energy we usually have running around our house. I can't wait for my energetic little boy to feel better.

(To Max the most traumatic point was when I cut one of the legs off his beloved Thomas pajamas last night so we could get them over the stylish boot. He kept crying for me to put the fabric back on his pants. Honestly, they're two sizes too small for him anyway and look more like capris then pants.)

13 comments:

Tiffany said...

HOLY COW!!!! He broke it by tripping? I am so sorry to hear that. What a nightmare! Do you have insurance, but a big deductible? What a pain. It's funny how much we rely on even the young kids for help. Hang in there.

Teresa Davidson said...

Don't feel like a bad mom. I have never heard of anybody breaking their foot from tripping on carpet. I feel for you though. When we had to take Aiden to primary children it cost us $900 and that was just for stitches. It must be hard on Max too... having to sit still all the time.

Natalie Layton said...

Poor kid! I hope he feels better soon!

Erin said...

Poor guy! He looks so sad and immobile. Hopefully it doesn't end up costing you too much. That is crazy he broke it just from a simple trip in the house.

Lesley said...

I'm so sad for little Max...and for you. I hope all is well soon.

Aimee said...

Poor Max! What a bummer. Don't feel bad about not taking him in. I fell off my bike when I was 8 and my parents didn't figure out anything was wrong until much later when my arm was about twice its normal size, I had broken quite a few bones in my hand and arm.
I hope he doesn't get too bummed out that he can't walk around. If so, bring him over and he could watch a movie with Charlie or something.

Danielle and Fam said...

You aren't the only parents that have delayed Dr trips...I know exactly what you are feeling though it makes life hard eh? He'll be back to normal in no time! poor guy!

Andrea and Nate Tracey said...

SO sorry to hear that poor little Max has a broken leg!! It is crazy, but my friends little girl broke her femor by play ring around the rosey with her brother and had to be in a cast from the waist down for 6 weeks!! Hope he gets to feeling better soon!!

Stecky said...

Ouch! I hope it heals quickly. What a trooper. He is one tough guy!

Alese said...

I can't believe that it is actually broken! SO SAD! We hope he gets feeling better soon!

Shannan said...

Oh, Max! I'm glad at least that now you know that he was really hurt. I hate those moments when you just never know for sure. I hope he gets better and is running around like crazy soon.

Shelly said...

Oh I am so sad for your little man in his boot!! Don't feel like a bad mom at all....Lexie had a minor fracture in her knee from uhh well sliding down a homemade table slide and we didn't take her in for almost a month!! OOPS! Hopefully the bill won't be too high for you guys---and maybe now he'll watch out for what was it...air??? :)

whitewaterwoman said...

Sounds like a greenstick fracture. I guess Max needs more calcium and a new pair of pajamas!