Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Welcome Home, Jeff!

Things have been pretty nice around here the last few days. Jeff got home Saturday morning from rafting the Grand Canyon for three weeks - with my family. To be truthful, it felt like almost twice that long to me! I sure missed him while he was gone, not only because it was hard taking care of our three little ones all by myself. I am amazed at all the single mothers, military wives, etc. who do this all the time. Evenings were especially lonely without Jeff around. Jane being so little was definitely the hardest part, but luckily she has been a pretty good sleeper, only giving me trouble a couple of nights and has been getting up only once at night to eat for a couple of weeks now. I guess I should say that Jane being in the hospital while Jeff was gone was the worst part, because to be honest that was AWFUL. (For those of you who don't know, Jane got viral meningitis about three days after Jeff left. She was fussy and had a high temperate so my pediatrician told me I needed to take her into the ER. There they did a bunch of tests to find out what was wrong and I spent a lot of time crying and praying that she would be okay. Viral meningitis was the outcome we were hoping for, since, unlike bacterial meningitis, there are hardly ever any side effects from getting it.)

While Jeff was gone:


Jane started smiling and gained some chubby little cheeks and legs. (This is actually the day after Jeff left, so you can't see how chubby she is getting, sorry!)

We made an enormous paper chain a couple of days after he left. I almost cried after I made it, it looked so long. Max and Emily loved taking off a chain each morning.

And I got used to having three kids. I feel like I've gotten baths and the bedtime routine down pretty good and we still run around doing errands and going to the park, it just sometimes takes us a little bit longer to get there. Doesn't it always take a little longer with a newborn?

I also felt like I grew in a lot of ways while Jeff was gone. I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't been very good at regular scripture study and prayer the last few years, but I knew I would need all the help I could get and have gotten back in the habit while Jeff was away. I also feel like I'm more patient and am better at letting things go. Things still get done, just not as quickly as they used to and that's okay. I was also very blessed with wonderful friends, neighbors, and family that helped take care of us while Jeff was away. People brought us meals, helped watch my kids, kept me company, and even came and helped me out at home. It is a wonderful feeling to know that I have so many people around me that are looking out for me and my family. I'm sure glad it's over, though. Jeff had a great time and I've been told by the others on the trip that he has turned into quite the oarsman. Hopefully the next river trip we'll get to go on together.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Glad you survived and were able to get something out of the whole experience. I'm especially glad Jane is doing well. I don't know if it is just my computer or what but I can't see the pics you posted. When we were at the store the other day, Ellie pointed at a baby on a package of diapers and said, "Look Mom it's baby Jane."

Meghan said...

I think Jane looks so much like you in that picture. So cute! I'm glad that even though the trip was long, you had help and made it through. You're a trooper!