Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Dirty Dash

Last Saturday Jeff ran the Dirty Dash - a 10K race that has multiple obstacles and mud intersperced throughout the track. They started out by running up a mud hill. A little way after that they had to climb over hay bails and then later they had to crawl through a couple of tubes. The first place we got to see Jeff was when he reached the three sets of walls that the participants had to jump/climb over. Actually it was a pain getting me and all three kids up to this spot in the race but I'm glad we did because it was fun to see Jeff. I did have to abandon the stroller half way up the hill, but no one stole it, so I guess we were okay.

After the walls they ran down by Deer Creek and through a boggy area, then back up next to the walls to slip/run/slide down this enormous slip 'n' slide. We didn't stay to see Jeff go down the slide because it was at the end of the race and we wanted to see Jeff finish.

We didn't want to miss out on the big finale - the run/swim through the big mud pit at the finish line.

While we waited for Jeff, the kids ate a snack and fought over our limited seating and I got slightly chastised by an older lady for having Jane out in the sun and then got chastised again when I put Jane into the stroller because apparently now she couldn't breath.

It was fun watching the runners finish the race. Some people were doing flips and dives into the muddy water. Jeff was boring and just sauntered through. ;) Many of the people ran the race in teams of five, Jeff included. It looked like so much fun and I'm kind of tempted to sign myself up for the 5K in May. Anyone want to get really muddy with me?

Max kept ignoring my pleas for him to not stand so close to the mud pit and got splashed all over with mud. Actually me and Emily got splashed as well, just not as bad as Max. Jeff's old college roommate was one of the co-founders of the Dirty Dash and we thought it turned out great. Congratulations, Harps!

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

What a unique race! Looks like fun, but I don't know as I'd ever do it. I think you should do the one in May!