Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Smell of Sweet Success

I felt like the little red hen today. Not only did I make this beautiful loaf of whole wheat bread, I ground the wheat by hand first. It took a long time. I think we might need to invest in an electric wheat grinder. Still, I was so proud of my beautiful, yummy loaves of bread. Now I'm just wondering if I'll really be able to make enough to satisfy Jeff's love of bread.

(I tried several recipes in my quest for homemade whole wheat bread but my favorite was from this blog. She even has a video on making bread that is really helpful in case any of you are interested.)

POST EDIT:
Apparently I am making myself appear more homemakery than I really am. Jeff says I need to post more about all my failed attempts. In the interest of not having a long post I failed to mention that this is at least my 10th attempt at homemade wheat bread in the past two months. Most of my other attempts were dense and crumbly or doughy in the center. I was almost to the point of giving up on ever making a decent loaf of bread. The only reason I ground my wheat is because I had no wheat flour in the house, had no money left in the budget to go out and buy wheat flour, I wanted to try out the wheat grinder Jeff's parents gave us for our birthdays and I have heard how wonderful white wheat is vs. red wheat and wanted to try that out as well. I certainly don't spend my days out in the field shucking wheat and then come home and sew my entire family matching outfits for Sunday the next day. Sorry to disillusion you Shannan! ;)

6 comments:

Erin said...

Looks good! I will have to try it since I have been looking for a good wheat bread recipe myself (now I just need to start making the bread instead of just looking at recipes :)

Shannan said...

You are making me feel guilty with all you homemaking skills. I might have to quit reading your blog. Emily's dress is darling, by the way.

Ines said...

Seriously, you need to come down this Thursday to the class at my stake. You will love their recipe and the 50 things you can do with it. All my friends and many thousand people all over the Intermountain West love the bread ladies from Pantry Secrets.

Shelly said...

I still think that you are Miss Homemaker....I love all your sewing projects and am so proud of your homeground wheat bread!!

whitewaterwoman said...

Grandma used to bake great homemade bread. You'll have to ask her for her recipes and secrets while she is here next week.

Maren said...

I'm glad it worked out on the 10th try. Hooray for persistance and learning new things.
Miss Emily's dress is beautiful, by the way. I KNOW that didn't take until the 10th try to get, so take full credit for that one. :)