Saturday, February 7, 2009

My grown up boy

Well, my big boy Max turned three on Thursday. Since we had already celebrated his and Emmy's birthdays on Saturday we didn't do anything big on his actual birthday. I tried to make up for this by making sure he had a special day. The night before, I told him the story about how he came to our family before he went to bed. On his birthday we made cinnamon rolls for breakfast, took Grandpa Marc out to lunch, ordered a pizza for dinner and Max got his very own little cake from the store that was just for him. (It was really just a cupcake, but he loved it!) I tried to show him how to hold up three fingers, but it proved to be a little difficult! He also got to open more presents. He got a GeoTrax zoo from Grandpa Marc and Grandma Sharon, which he has been carrying all over the house and sleeping with, and some remote control cars from Grandma Nancy that he loves driving and crashing into everything and everyone.

I've been trying to think about what to say about our Circus Maximus and have had a hard time putting my thoughts into words. Max has always had kind of a difficult personality for me to handle. I'm not saying he's a bad kid, he just has so much ENERGY and is so STUBBORN. It seems like we spend all day sometimes butting heads. (I personally think a big part of this is because we have similar personalities and we both want to do things OUR WAY.) But on the other hand, he can be so sweet. He gives the best hugs and has always been very affectionate and cuddly since he was a baby. He's also at an age where he does and says the funniest things.



As I was looking over the last three years of pictures I couldn't believe how much Max has grown and changed in the short time that he has been in our family. It is amazing to me how much LOVE you feel for your children as a parent. I believe it is something that you can only understand through personal experience. Max has helped me learn and grow so much. I love you Max! You have given my life a deeper and richer meaning and purpose than I could ever imagine and I am so excited to be able to watch you learn and grow!

5 comments:

heather said...

Happy Birthday to Max and Emmy!!! They are such cute kids.

Tiffany said...

That post took me back to Luke's 3rd birthday. It seems like just yesterday, though it was 4 years ago. Man they grow fast!! Happy Birthday Max.

Shannan said...

Happy Birthday, Max! I can't wait to see what kind of trouble you and Malia can cause when you are together!

Erin said...

Happy 3rd birthday Circus Maximus! Is he guarding his room to keep you all out and away from him new toys?

Lesley said...

Happy birthday to Max. What a tender post. I've had 5 three year olds through the years, and one of them I struggled with. He grew up amazing. I just decided that he had this great big spirit in this little body and once his body started to grow to match his spirit....all was well :-)