Monday, November 10, 2008

Rainy Days and Mondays

Mondays tend to be this weird combination of lazy day and work day at our house. I know a lot of people clean their house on the weekend, but I prefer to do it on Monday. This is because it seems like it gets the dirtiest over the weekend, so if I clean on Saturday, by Monday it feels like I need to clean again anyway. Since I plan on cleaning on Mondays, I tend to put off taking a shower and getting ready for the day, making me feel like it's a lazy day. Today we got a very late start to the day. Emily didn't wake up until 10:00 and then I woke Max up at 10:30. Before you get all jealous, this is not the normal time my kids get up, we just had a late night last night and Max woke up around three and screamed for about an hour for who knows what reason, so I feel I was justified in having my kids sleep in today.

It was a gloomy, dark, rainy day which put me in the mood for a little extra homemaking so Max and I made homemade granola bars. I don't know why I've become such a from scratch kind of girl lately, but I love making things on my own that most people would normally buy from the store. This is probably part loving to save money and part loving to create something. These are very easy to make and I think they are pretty good. Of course I got the recipe of Allrecipes, if anyone was wondering. Oh, how I love Allrecipes!



4 cups rolled oats
1 cup flour (I used wheat even though it calls for all-purpose)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1-2 cups chocolate chips (or raisins, nuts, etc.)

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease a 9 x 13 inch pan. In a large bowl combine all the ingredients but the chocolate chips. Stir in the chocolate chips. Press the mixture into the pan. Bake for 18-22 minutes until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes and then cut into bars. Wait until they are completely cool before serving or removing.

I used only 1 cup of chocolate chips even though it called for 2 and I think it was plenty. The first time I made these I used raisins and I thought they turned out really good even though I'm not a huge raisin fan. I also pressed down the mixture halfway through baking and again when I pulled them out of the oven. There was also a suggestion on Allrecipes to add Rice Crispy's to give them that crunch that Quaker granola bars have. I think this sounds like a great idea, but we don't eat cereal and I didn't want to buy a box just to make a batch of granola bars. Maybe next time.

8 comments:

Erin said...

Love Allrecipes! I will have to make these granola bars since we just finished off our box from the store. This is one of the few things Ellie will eat. Hopefully she will still like them if they are homemade. With her, you never know. Having a child who doesn't like to eat 90% of the stuff you cook kind of takes the fun out of making stuff from scratch, but that doesn't stop me from trying - at least on a good day, that is.

Danielle and Fam said...

HOW DO YOU NOT EAT CEREAL...I think our family would die! Those granola bars looked good.

heather said...

One of my favorite memories from visiting my grandmother's house as a child was the smell of homemage granola. So so yummy. And hey, take a nap, you deserve it!

Ines said...

I'm trying these tomorrow, on my day off. You're such a great homemaker!

Maren said...

Hey, I'll give those a try sometime soon!

Bryan, Natalie, Maya and Little B said...

Sounds yummy. I'm totally trying those tonight when hubby is off watching the new James Bond flick with his buddies.

I found that dress on Etsy. Here's the link to the shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5346066. I ended up buying the dress and and my mom is taking it apart, making a pattern, and putting it back together. I'll see if she can send it to me and I'll send you a copy (it's 3T though. You'll probably be able to adjust it, you're a pro!)

whitewaterwoman said...

Looks like Max loved the granola bars!

Meghan said...

When did you become such a homemaker? Making your own granola bars?!? That never even crossed my mind as something to try making. Someday when I have time I'll have to try making different things from scratch. I still buy pizza dough mix instead of making it at home. I guess I'll have time in the future to try all those things. Hopefully.