Monday, May 19, 2008

The Big Boy Bed

After Max climbed out of his crib last week, we decided to move him into the twin bed we have in his room. (This is my bed from my single days. The comforter is actually from when I was in high school and Jeff thinks it's silly to buy Max a new comforter, so that's why it's all flowery. I'm working on getting him to change his mind, though.) ;) Max has actually transitioned to a big bed a lot better than I would have imagined. We've put a child proof lock on the door so he can't get out of his room at night, and for the most part he has gone to bed and slept very well. The sad thing is that nap time has pretty much disappeared and I'm thinking that might be a permanent change. Being the very active boy that he is, I still need a break during the day so that I can be a nice mom, so we have changed nap time into quiet time in his room, which he also does pretty good at most of the time. We went to the park for lunch today and I think the sun and running around has sucked his energy out of him, because he actually laid right down and is taking a nap on his bed right now. I'm thinking that we might be spending a lot of time at the park this summer. I didn't really think that this would be a hard change for me emotionally, but when I look at him sleeping in his bed it makes my heart ache a little. He looks so little in that big bed and so grown up all at the same time. I've known for a while he wasn't a baby any more, but this move just seemed to really make that realization sink in. I can't believe how fast he is growing up!!

Update: About four days after we moved him to a bed, Max started napping again. I guess the novelty of a big boy bed just needed to wear off. I am very grateful to have nap time back!

6 comments:

Ines said...

He looks so proud in his new big bed. If Jeff can't get used to the flowery comforter may I suggest a little trip to IKEA? They have awesome kids bedding at a very reasonable prize. Do I sound like a commercial? Sorry - but it's just my most favorite store in the whole wide world!

Erin said...

He is turning into such a grown-up little boy! I will be sad when Ellie's naps are over. For now, she is still too ornery to not have one. But when the day does come, we will definitely work in the quiet time. I hope the new schedule continues to work out for you guys.

Tiffany said...

Isn't it funny it is the little small things that make us so sad about our children growing up!? A big bed is a major milestone-(so are no more naps!) I used to do "quiet time" in their rooms with my oldest two and before I knew it, they would very often climb up in bed and nap. Good job on the door lock! There are many mother's who can't bring themselves to do that!

Bryan, Natalie, Maya and Little B said...

Hey, that fabric on my blog is Amy Butler fabric, and I actually didn't get it on Etsy.com. I got it on sale on fabric.com. Just search for Amy Butler and all of her stuff will come up.

Danielle and Fam said...

I love when the kids get in their big beds and when they stay there! It's the best. I love that I just saw your bedspread...that brings back memories!

Shannan said...

Hey, I have a Thomas beadspread you can have if you want. I know I won't be able to give it to you for a couple of months, but I don't think anyone in my house will miss it. Sorry about the nap situation. That transition is always hardest for the mom!