Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Random little nothings

Emily has found her thumb. I have to admit that I am actually kind of glad because now she can soothe herself. She was on the point of sleeping through the night when she was about two months old and then we switched her antibiotics and she did not like the new medicine at all. She quit napping, starting getting up earlier in the morning and sometimes in the middle of the night, and was very fussy because her belly hurt and she had diarrhea all the time. She went through 20 diapers one day (this is not an exaggeration). We started giving her probiotics a few weeks ago and it has helped immensely. She is back to being my sweet little girl, she is napping great and sleeping through the night. I am so spoiled, I know! :)

Max loves to eat oatmeal for breakfast. (Or, as he calls it, opameal.) He is just barely getting to the point where he will choose pancakes instead some of the time. Who doesn't want pancakes over oatmeal!? It can be a little messy to clean off of his clothes, so I started pinning my kitchen towel from the day before around his waist so that when he is done eating I can just take it off and he is all clean.

Max is just always doing funny groupings with his toys. I don't know if you can tell or not, but he has put one crayon on each section of train track.

The new thing to do with his toy cars is to line them up in the window sill of his bedroom. He went really crazy on this day and lined them up upside down.

Emily has started laughing the last couple of weeks and it is sooo stinking cute. She is such a rolly-polly happy baby. I can't believe how big she's gotten and how fun she is. She's also working on rolling over, but isn't quite there yet.

Max climbed out of his crib this morning. I was feeding Emily in my room when I heard Max open his door and there he was standing in his doorway looking very proud of himself. I put him back in to see if he would do it again and one minute later he was on the floor playing with his toys. I have been dreading this moment for a while now and am actually surprised it has taken him this long to do it since he is such a mischievous, active little boy. He still napped for me today and went to bed tonight just like normal, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this new skill doesn't mean an end to life as I know it!

7 comments:

Erin said...

I hope Max stays in bed for you, although it seems like this new skill won't be one he will likely forget or not want to use. Maybe he is ready for the big kid bed. I guess you will know soon enough. Ellie hasn't climbed out of her crib yet but she is probably getting to the age where I should move her into a bed. I just don't want her to stop napping or going to bed as easily as she does.

Tiffany said...

When my older two mastered climbing out of the crib (at 16 & 17 months), I wasn't against putting a child proof door opener so they couldn't come out of the room-my pediatrician was actually IN FAVOR of that. So, just a tip... Cute, cute kids. Max actually kept lining stuff up on our window sills when he was here-funny boy!w

Ines said...

Max just amazes me with his organizational skills. And Emily is so darn cute!! I remember the sad day when my kids left the crib, never to return again:( I used the child-proof door opener, too, and it worked really well for us. It's much better than the parent being the "bad" guy and always sending them back to bed. Although my kids went to sleep on the floor at times, and we had to put them back in bed. Good luck with this new stage.

Danielle and Fam said...

Cute...I love the grouped toys.
Hope things are going well in your world! Let's get together for sure over the summer!

Shannan said...

Max is so organized. Hopefully he will keep that skill later on in life. I hope the new big bed works for you. Just don't use two gates stacked on top of each other! Your kids are really cute.

Meghan said...

I think Emily is looking more like Max everyday (except for the dark hair). I love seeing all the pictures of both of them. So cute!

Maren said...

That red shirt picture of Emily is so cute. Give her a cheek squeeze for the McBrides, please. :)
A big bed. I'm just not sure I'll be ready. I'm glad Max is doing pretty well with it.