Saturday, June 28, 2008

21 day sugar detox

I have been taking a very hard look at my eating habits the last few months and have come to the conclusion that I have a serious problem with eating sweets. I hide them all over my house and am eating them all day long. If we have any type of desert in the house I sneak downstairs and eat some before I get Max up in the morning. (And then I tell him when he asks for a cookie for breakfast, "We don't eat cookies for breakfast!") I will eat treats after lunch, while the kids are napping, and then again in the evening. If I am reading, scrapbooking, sewing, watching TV, etc. I want a treat while I am doing it. As hard and embarrassing as it is to admit this in such a public way, I am doing it in hopes that by openly admitting it I will be better able to overcome my sugar habit.

My blogging friend Amy has decided to do a 21 day sugar detox and has invited others to join in with her. She has even created a blog where people can go to find motivation and support or write about how they are doing. After thinking it over for a couple of days I've decided to join her. For the next 21 days Jeff (who is joining me) and I won't eat any candy, deserts, soda, etc. Can I just say that it makes me a little nervous to say that, and sad that it should make me nervous!! I'm letting you all know this so that you can support me in this decision and to hopefully help others who may also need a little motivation to start eating healthier.

Here's to healthier eating!!

8 comments:

Bryan, Natalie, Maya and Little B said...

Yikes! Good luck! As I read this I was halfway through a slice of pumpkin pie topped with whipped cream. Hmmmm. . .maybe you've got a point here.

Ines said...

Wow - I'm so impressed by your goal. I really should be doing this, too. I'm seriously considering it. I'll let you know what I decide.

Tiffany said...

Wow! Way to go! Wish I could join you. I love sugar, candies, treats etc. but don't think I can give it up. My kids know that if we ever have left over chocolate cake we eat it for breakfast the next day. Yeah-understand all of your hiding places-I have them too. More power to you-GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meghan said...

I know you can do it. I don't know if I could, but I don't feel like I'm too bad. We usually just don't buy any cookies or candy or treats (because I will eat them)- only ice cream once a month or so. Maybe you'll inspire me to do it after the 21 days. I am cheering you on!

Shannan said...

I have been totally thinking about this since we talked, and I think I am going to do it. But, I decided that I should wait until after Erin and Brian come. (Is that a cop out?) I just figure, it might be hard to do it when we have company. But I have been thinking about it during the day and realizing that I think I can do it. And I think it will be better for our family, too. Since I am the one that does the shopping, I am just not going to buy any sweets, so there won't be any for anyone. Anyway, I will let you know next week!

Amy K said...

I'm so glad to have you join us, and Crock too? That's impressive! It has been easier for me than I thought just because I have totally committed to do it, and of course that I told everyone about it. I have probably tried a dozen times to stop candy over the last few months, Steve makes fun of me for it. Anyway, see you on the blog!

Shelly said...

I hear you...I so have a sugar/treat problem...I might check out your friends blog and play along! Good luck to you!

Lesley said...

Way to go Adrienne!! You can do it. A few years ago I decided to go for one full year without drinking any soda pop or eating any candy. I did it!! My reward from my Dad, $100 and a pound of Mrs. Cavenaugh's Mindy Mints!!!