Saturday, June 14, 2008

Clutter Busters!

For the last month, Jeff and I have been working at getting our home organized and clutter free. We don't have a basement in our home, which means we don't have a whole lot of storage space. Plus, I've become anti-clutter the older I've gotten. I used to be a saver and would hang on to everything way past its usefulness. Now I'm the chucker in our marriage and Jeff and I are constantly debating about what we are going to keep and what we are going to trash. Part of the problem is that we inherited a lot of junk when we bought our house. Jeff thinks that we should make use of what we have and I think it belongs in the dump. The garage was a mess and the former owners had turned the master walk-in closet into a computer room and the storage room behind it into the master closet. We finally got new shelves and clothing rods put up in the closet (The Saturday before Emily was born!) and last weekend we tore down the old shelves in the storage room and took everything out and organized it, getting rid of a bunch of stuff in the process. We had all ready organized our other storage closet the week before. Today we tackled the garage. This was probably spurred along by me breaking of my side mirror off our new car when I was backing out of the garage last week. It feels so nice to know where stuff is in the garage and to feel like I have room to get kids in and out of the car. I love to live in an organized world! (Which is no shock to anyone that knows me.)

In a very Jeff like moment today, I left garage cleaning halfway through and started pruning some of our trees. I could not believe what a difference it made to our yard! I cleared off some low branches right inside our gate in the back yard and it really opened up the area. Today, for the first time since we bought our house, I felt like we were actually making some headway with our yard. There is still a lot to do, especially in the back, but it felt so nice out there today under the shade of our trees and the grass in the back only looks bad in the back half of the yard! That probably doesn't sound that great, but it is major progress for us and gives me hope that maybe next summer our yard will be an enjoyable place to hang out.

4 comments:

Maren said...

Oooooh, I know what you mean. Make use of it or get rid of it. There is a show called Clean House where they help people get rid of their clutter. I love it. Way to go.
I know what you mean about the yard thing too. Our yard is actually getting to be mostly grass instead of whatever creepy things were going on before we got here. It makes it a whole lot easier to be outside.

Ines said...

I'm anti-clutter myself and I understand your feelings. Just don't remind my kids - they're constantly hearing "pick up this" and "pick up that". I have zero clutter tolerance and probably go overboard sometimes.
A house of order is a good thing, though:)

Shannan said...

That is such a great feeling to get organized. We don't have any storage room either, and it is really frustrating. But we don't have too much clutter since we had to dump most of it when we moved to California.
I can't wait to see your yard. It is amazing what a little trimming will do to make your yard look better. I am sure once you set your mind to it, (like painting your entire house!),the yard will come together.

Tiffany said...

I too have found the older I get the more I get ride of. We don't have a lot of storage space either-so if we don't use it-it's outta here! Good for you for all your hard work. What a sense of accomplishment.