Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween!!

We had our ward trunk-or-treat last Saturday, so I spent the week hurrying to get the kids costumes done. When I got Max's finished he wanted nothing to do with it. We went to the chili cook off anyway and all he wanted to do was admire all of the pretty princess dresses. I was a little worried that he was going to miss out on trick-or-treating this year, but luckily he is old enough to understand when I tell him that no costume = no trick-or-treating = no candy. I tried to not out and right bribe him, but I think it was a little border line. Of course, once you can get him to wear something once he seems to be fine wearing it again and will often make the once hated item of clothing the now loved ad most worn piece of clothing. I sometimes just don't get his thinking!

I made Max a prince/king costume this year in the hopes that he could use it to play with his cousins when they dress up as princesses. As you can tell by the continued princess dress obsession it isn't really working out that way. Oh well. I'm torn because I don't want to out right tell him, "Boy's don't dress up as princesses." And it's a very big double standard. If he was a girl wanting to dress up as a boy there would be no issue at all. On the other hand, I do believe in gender roles and I don't want to go out and encourage the dress loving.

Max did a pretty good job with the trick-or-treating this year. He seemed to understand the concept pretty well and I could get him to say "trick-or-treat" about half the time and almost always he would say "thank you". I think the holidays get so fun the older your kids get, when they can really understand what is going on and get into the spirit of the holidays.

Emily got to be a carrot because 1. she loves carrots and 2. I already had all the material I needed to make the costume. The face she is making above is her Jeff face. When she makes this face it's a little spooky how much she looks like her dad.

10 comments:

Shannan said...

Jim walked by while I was reading your post and saw the one picture of Emily and said she looked exactly like Jeff, just as I was reading that she was making her Jeff face. That, too, is SPOOKY! The kids costumes are so cute. I think Max makes a very handsome prince/king!

Erin said...

Max's prince costume turned out great. I am glad he wore it for you. Emily is adorable as a little carrot, even when she makes the Jeff pondering face. Ellie really liked trick-or-treating this year too.

Shelly said...

What adorable costumes..I love them. I wouldn't worry too much about Max give him a year and all he'll want nothing to do with anything girly! I was worried when all Lexie wanted to be last year was a Ninja Turtle or "Bad Apapman"-the Black Spiderman. And listening to her play army guys with Brenten almost brought me to tears...but lately she's all girl dresses, tutus, ballet and babies! He'll come around!!

Lesley said...

You are absolutely correct about Emily's face. She looks like....Jeff in a carrot costume. BTW the costumes are adorable, you are so talented!

Meghan said...

I love the costumes- especially the carrot! That is so adorable! I think it's good you made Max a costume he can wear when his cousins dress up as princesses. Hopefully he'll grow out of the dress phrase fast. I have no idea how I would handle that either, but he's still young and doesn't understand the difference between boys and girls too much. I'm sure he just likes the way the dresses looks and that's all.

whitewaterwoman said...

Emily makes a great carrot!! You'll have to start bringing Max's prince costume when you visit so he'll have his own dress up to wear when the girls wear their princess dresses.

Tiffany said...

The costumes are DARLING! Don't worry too much about the Princess dress thing-it is probably all he knows because of being around his girl cousins.

Ines said...

Such great costumes Adrienne! Emily really makes a great carrot! And that face...

Kelli Proctor said...

Adrienne! I saw your message on Apreals blog and got so excited! So fun to find you! WHat a cute family! Can I add you to my blog?

Maren said...

Way to go on that carrot costume! I'm impressed!
I wouldn't have the first clue.