Sunday, March 30, 2008

Adventures In Baking

So I have been banned from eating anything will milk in it for the next couple of months, at least, because it looks like Emily is having an allergic reaction to milk. I actually had the same problem with Max, but I only had to go a week without milk because it was a false alarm. It was not a fun week. I didn't realize until that week just how much we use milk in our culture. Luckily I have a wonderful friend who's children are allergic to milk and so I gave her a call to ask her for some advice. She was so great, telling me what substitutes to use for butter and how to make a passable sour cream and cream soup substitute. She even printed off a bunch of recipes and lent me her milk-free cookbook. Today being Jeff's birthday I wanted to make him something nice for dinner so I attempted to make fried chicken and mash potatoes without milk, per Jeff's request. Dinner turned out okay, but my gravy and mashed potatoes left a little something to be desired. (This is the first time I remember having homemade mashed potatoes and it not being my favorite part of the meal.) We also attempted to make Deanne's chocolate cake, which also didn't turn out quite right. As you can tell by the pictures below, Max was more than happy with the results. That's not saying much though, since Max doesn't have the most discriminating taste buds. Hopefully we won't have to go through to many more cooking adventures before Emily grows out of her allergy. I'm just hoping that at least I might lose a few pounds as a reward for abstaining from all my favorite foods!


5 comments:

Tiffany said...

Aaaagggghhh! I think I would die before I had to cut milk out of my diet. It's nice you have Andrea to help you out. I can't believe how many allergies are around here! Hopefully it doesn't last long for you (or Emily), but I guess long enough to lose some weight would make it all worth it! Good Luck-

Shelly said...

OH I am so sad for you! I think I could go without milk--until I remember all the things that really use milk...I hope it passes quickly! I love the chocolate covered Max...you are right it looks like he had no issues with the menu!!

Ines said...

Oh, the things we sacrifice willingly for the best of our children. I'm a mashed potato lover myself - I understand that it just wouldn't be the same... Good luck, and hopefully it will be over soon.

Kathryn-nannygoat said...

Cam is still allergic to milk, I'm still hoping he will outgrow it. It is such a pain! You don't realize how many things have milk in them.
Oreos were my lifesaver when I was dairy-free for 8 months- who would have thought they have no milk in them!

Maren said...

Those are fantastic food pictures. He's so handsome. Okay, no milk? Good grief! I hope you can get that figured out okay and that it will pass sooner than later. And when it does, it'll be time to go and get the biggest milkshake ever.