Wednesday, March 26, 2008

One Of Those Days

Most days as a mom are pretty routine and uneventful. However, occasionally you have a really great or fun day and then there are those not so wonderful, the stars are aligned against me type of days. I wouldn't say that today was the worst day of my life, but it definitely leans toward the negative end of the scale. As with a lot of bad days it was just a slow build up of not so great things. After sleeping 10 hours straight on Monday night, Emily thought she would remind me of who is in control of when and how much sleep I get right now, and woke up at 1:00 am, only an hour after I went to sleep. (What can I say, I'm a night person!) Of course this meant she woke up again at 6:30 so that by the time I had finished feeding her I only had 30 minutes until my alarm was set to go off. I had to get up and get us all ready because I was going visiting teaching at 9:30 so sleeping in and slacking off the morning were not an option. After my visiting teaching appointment I spent a good 30 plus minutes trying to find the park that I was meeting some neighbors at for a play group. Since I didn't have any luck, I decided to run some errands instead since we were all ready out and about. After stopping a couple of places we ran to Target to kill a little time before lunch. I guess Max didn't like that idea so he decided to throw a tantrum while I was getting him out of the car, which continued into the store, into a new cart with a strap that worked, and halfway through the store. I'm not really sure what was wrong because he wouldn't speak coherently. He repeated the said tantrum again at lunch while I tried to find something that he wanted to eat, all the while having all of my suggestions shot down. ("No grapes! No milk! No bread!") Of course I was also trying to talk to my sister on the phone, but that was the good part of my day, so thanks Shannan for some good adult conversation and mom to mom talk time, it was a saving grace today. I got him down for a nap a little later and then spent his whole nap time trying to convince Emily that she wanted to take her afternoon nap that she is usually so good about. The evening wasn't to bad until bedtime. I was flying solo tonight which is still a little tough at times now that we have two children. I had given Max his bath and left him in to play while I bathed Emily. I had her out of the tub and was putting on her diaper when I looked over to see Max leaving me a little "present" in the tub. Needless to say there was a few minutes of chaos proceeding this with a lot of crying from starving Emily while I tried to clean up. By the time Jeff got home to find that Emily was still awake, after me trying for 45 minutes to get her to fall asleep, I was about ready to cry a few tears of frustration and exhaustion. Oh the joys of motherhood!! It's a good thing these kids are so darn cute and we love them so much because it makes a crappy day worth it in the end!

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

I saw your blog as a link from Kathyrn's and I thought I'd check it out...hope you don't mind. You poor thing yesterday! What a hard day! I always have to repeat in my mind "opposition in all things." If they weren't such stinkers sometimes, we wouldn't TRULY appreciate those sweet, wonderful "motherhood moments!"

heather said...

I can so relate! Yesterday we found a "mystery present" at the top of the stairs...You are very patient with Max and a great mom.

Meghan said...

I don't know what's harder, dealing with kids or dealing with attorneys that act like kids! But I'm sure it made today seem like a wonderful day compared to all that happened on Wednesday. I concur though, you are a wonderful, patient mom. I'm sure I'll be calling you some day when I have kids asking for advice!

Shannan said...

I have definitely thought to myself many times that same thing. There is a reason little kids are so cute, because some days can be so trying! And days like these make you appreciate the better days. Way to go for making it through this one.