Sunday, July 27, 2008

28 Days Later

This last Friday Jeff and I finished our 28 day sugar detox. Yeah!!! We have done this two or three times before, but only for 14 days and I am usually griping the whole time and can't wait for it to be done. Maybe this time was the charm, because it was easier for me than in the past and I felt like it was a very positive experience on the whole. There was still a lot of times when I craved sugar and wished that we were done already, but mostly I felt really good about how I was doing. I have also looked at this as an opportunity to find some healthier snacks and to add more fruit into our diet. I am loving fruit right now! Max loves fruit, so he's also enjoyed having a lot around.

My friend was asking me if I found this to be effective for weight loss so here are the results that I have had with lowering my sugar intake the last few months. Back in the middle of May, Jeff and I took some "before" measurements and pictures so that we could track our results. We started a 14 day sugar detox the next day and I lost 8 lbs. over that time. In between that sugar detox and the one I just finished I lost another 4 lbs. (I was eating less sugar than normal at this time, but not trying to eliminate sweets completely) and then lost 5 more lbs. in the last four weeks. (17 lbs. total! Yeah again!) I have lost 3 inches from my hips and 3 inches from my waist. My eating habits are the only thing I have changed, unless you count exercising a few times over the last few months, so I would have to say that I definitely feel like it is an effective way to loose weight. (At least if you're like me and eat way too much sugar normally!)

Now that we have been back on sugar a couple of days I am trying to maintain a balance with my eating. Hopefully I'll be able to stick to my goals of not making or bringing treats and sweets into our home unless they are for a specific purpose (ward function, family get together, etc.) or to only make small amounts if they are just for us to eat (like one sheet of cookies and then freezing the rest of the dough) and no more often than once a week. I am NOT going to buy candy and hide it in various places around my house for me to snack on throughout the day any more! So here's to a healthier lifestyle (and hopefully a little more weight loss)!!


On a side note: Tonight we made a sheet of Jeff's yummy chocolate chip cookies that have been sitting in our freezer for the last four weeks. Max had two cookies and was sitting in the kitchen by himself laughing hysterically about who knows what. Jeff and I think the sugar may have gone to his head after having his sugar intake limited by default for the last four weeks.

7 comments:

Ines said...

I'm so glad you've had so much success. I have definitely felt better on the detox and because of that I've decided to eat way less sugary treats from now on. We were eating ice cream last night, and I only had a small bowl. I was wondering if Jeff would share his cookie recipe with us though. My girls love to bake and they're always looking for a good recipe. I've also fallen in love with fruit again. I've been eating blueberries by the pounds.
And by the way, thanks for leaving such a thoughtful comment on my last post.

Burdick Family said...

Well, it's cool to hear about your results! I guess I should get some ambition and try a sugar detox since I had orange juice and chocolate pudding for breakfast. I usually eat cereal or toast, but I saw the pudding and had that instead. So can you tell me where to start?!

heather said...

You are amazing! I can't imagine not having sugar but i LOVE that the two of you had a little sugar buzz after the cookies. That is classic!

Lesley said...

Way to go!! I'm going to try it. Thanks for being a great role model :-)

Erin said...

Hip Hip Hooray! I think that is great you accomplished your goal (and lost weight in the meantime - I am sure that helped make it worthwhile).

Tiffany said...

Good for you Adrienne! You show a lot of self-discipline doing that. I think I might have our family do it for a week. I think my kids eat too much sugar!

Shannan said...

Way to make it the whole 28 days. Thanks for helping me get through my 21. I was really hoping for some before and after pictures, but I guess I will have to wait until the end of the month to see how great you look. Way to go!