Saturday, July 12, 2008

Halfway There

Well, yesturday Jeff and I passed the halfway mark on our sugar detox. (We decided a few days in to go for four weeks instead of three.) I have done this a few times before with Jeff, but for only two weeks at a time. This time it is actually going easier than before for several reasons. It has been a big help to me to have a support group to go through this with me. It never seems like it's hard for Jeff to go without sugar like it is for me, so he just makes me annoyed when I vent about wanting a treat and he says, "Oh, I haven't really been craving sugar." It's nice to have other women to talk to who are also trying to make it through a long day without any sugar while battling young kids and an often monotonous routine. It also is helping to know that so many people know that I have this goal and will want to know how I did. I love proving that I can do something difficult, so that keeps me going when I lose all other motivation. I've also lost some weight the last couple of months, mostly due to not eating sugar and even had to buy a new pair of shorts this week. This is the first time I've ever gone that direction on the scale unless it involved morning sickness or having a baby. It can be pretty motivating when you are seeing results!

The one thing that I think is the biggest help to me getting through this is my finally coming to grips with my eating habits and the fact that I really needed to do something about it. I have been lying to myself for years saying that I just needed to start exercising and then I could eat however I wanted, or that it didn't matter if I was a little overweight, I just needed to learn to love myself for who I was. I'm not saying that I don't need to love myself for who I am, but I am saying that I was using these as an excuse so that I wouldn't have to face the reality of what I was putting in my body and how it has been affecting me. It has felt very empowering to take control over what I am eating.

The first week was still pretty rough. I was grumpy and had a constant headache for several days but I was determined to meet my goal. The second week I felt like I was more patient with Max, had more energy and wasn't craving the sugar nearly as bad. I have also been enjoying trying out some new recipes. I don't really enjoy cooking dinner, but I love to bake treats, so I've been trying to find some more healthy options for baking and some new snack options for when I really want something to munch on.

I am both anticipating and dreading the end of our sugar detox because I believe the really hard part for me will come when I have to practice moderation with how much sugar I eat. Jeff and I are setting some goals about our sugar intake for after we are done and I am hopeful that this is going to be a lifestyle change for us, not just a few rough weeks of sugar abstinence.

Well, on to the second half of our 28 day sugar detox!


Here's me with my progress chart. I get to stamp a butterfly for every day that I go sugar free. (Jeff has one as well, but he stamps a race car in his.) Kind of silly, but it's nice to have a visual of how far we have come.

7 comments:

Shannan said...

I still can't believe you are going another full week. That just goes to show that you have more endurance than I do. Way to go on all you accomplishments, physically and mentally!

heather said...

Wow! You are a brave woman!!!

Ines said...

I'm going for 4 weeks myself, and I have to say that it does get easier after a while. I had a headache the first week, too. I'm sure it was a symptom of withdrawal. I even turned down rocky road ice cream this past weekend, which I thought I could NEVER do. I watched other people eat it and I was actually OK. I kind of felt proud of myself for staying strong. I like your cute sticker idea. And I love your new background. Maybe some day I will be brave enough to change mine...

Shannan said...

Hey, you posted this picture after my first comment. I just wanted to say, I think you look great!

Tiffany said...

I am SOOOO impressed. In fact today when you were walking into Sac. Mtg I noticed you had lost weight. Good for you! I also completely understand your whole paragraph about accepting yourself etc. I think I am in that whole denial thing about what I really put in my body, but I can't even imagine a day without sugar so I don't know if I'd ever consider the 21 day thing!
Also the picture of you holding your chart is beautiful! It is a very pretty picture. Keep up the good work and good we're having the "salad social" not the "dessert social" soon.

Kathryn-nannygoat said...

You Rock! What an accomplishment, seriously. Keep up the good work!

Burdick Family said...

Wow! No Sugar! I need to do that but it takes some serious commitment. I have gone through our house various times and thrown all the treats away, but they keep coming back! Well, I hope all is going well! Do you think it is working for weight loss? I am sure it is, I am just curious!