Thursday, July 3, 2008

Help!!!!!

What do you do with a toddler who takes off his diaper and shoves it under the door after you put him to bed? (Jeff had even duck taped it on tonight and I don't think it even slowed down the diaper removing process one bit!) For about a week now Max has been routinely taking off his diaper, usually when he gets up in the morning or after nap time, and I am about ready to pull my hair out with frustration. I put him in underwear today after he stripped from the waist down during nap time and peed on one of his play tents in his room and he ended up peeing all over my couch, which is my big fear because I love my couches! (There one of the few nice pieces of furniture we have.) He won't pee on the toilet but has apparently decided that he wants to wear big boy underwear. I just needed to vent a little because with the diaper removing and all of the hitting, slapping, kicking, and hair pulling that he does I feel like I am going to explode. I'm not sure how effective time-outs are being (with the hitting), since he usually runs around laughing when I put him in one. Apparently he thinks time-outs are a pretty fun game. I know that we're going to get past this stage one day, still, I would appreciate any words of wisdom that will hurry that process along.

6 comments:

Meghan said...

I'm so sorry!! I hope he hasn't been peeing on anything else since this post. I don't have any experience with this, but all I can think is that if the time-out system that you have now isn't working, you need to find something that will- something he does not like and can't run away from. I know that's a lot easier said than done, but hopefully you can find something that will stop the peeing frenzy!

Shannan said...

We are so sorry! We have been talking and we don't really have any advice. But we definitely think that Max is a great problem solver since he can get out of a duct taped diaper. We will keep you posted if we come up with any solutions. We miss you and wish you were here!
Erin and Shannan

heather said...

That is a tough one! Caleb is four and sleeps naked, without underwear every nighs. He still has accidents. We have found not much helps. The Dr. did tell us to let him have scheduled "naked time" each day and keep track of his accidents (time of day) to see if we could prevent them ahead of time. You could let him run around outside all day without a diaper! Best of luck, I will be anxious to hear the suggestions.

Tiffany said...

Wish I had some words of wisdom, but I don't exactly consider myself "wise." But, how about trying some pajamas (the footsie ones with a zipper) and put it on backwards. That way he couldn't undo the zipper. You could also cut the feet off so it won't be too hot for him this time of year? Just a suggeston?

Ines said...

I don't really have any answers for you other than the fact that he needs to know who's boss and that there will be consequences for his actions. And you will have to follow through on those consequences. He's such a smart kid. I know that he'll figure it out once he'll have "painful" consequences. I'm not much into self-help books, but there's one I've found as very helpful. It is called "How to Behave to your Children will, too!" by Sal Severe. I have a copy if you would like to borrow it.

Shelly said...

OH that does not sound fun at all...have you tried letting him put his underwear on top of his diaper...that way he still feels like he's wearing what he wants but you have the ummm...leakage protection?? 2 years 6-9months was when we potty trained Brenten...someone told me it was the "magic" age for boys...maybe he is getting ready..all I can say is that I feel for you...we thought Lexie would never get trained (boys really were way easier than girls at our house...but a helpful hint...teach him to sit, I swear SO MUCH better) it is a glorious day indeed to be done with diapers! Good Luck! (Sorry this was so long!!)